The health world is currently green with envy over matcha. Shots of the drink were the “it beverage” at New York Fashion Week, and now even dedicated coffee lovers are ditching their morning cup in favour of this earthy tea. Green tea leaves are ground to a powder meaning you ingest the whole leaf – giving you 137 times more antioxidants than traditional green tea. It’s also known as a brain booster and helps to improve stamina. Sounds awesome right? It’s even better in ice-cream. You’ll love these so matcha….
VEGAN MATCHA POPS
Prep time: 10 minutes (plus 2 hours freezing)
⅔ cup coconut cream*
1 teaspoon matcha green tea powder (I use Matcha Maiden)
3 teaspoons rice malt syrup or 8 drops liquid stevia
2 tablespoons pistachios, chopped
¼ cup basic raw chocolate [page 205] OR 75g of 90% dark chocolate
1. Add coconut cream, matcha powder and sweetener of choice to a bowl or blender and whisk or blend until smooth.
2. In a popsicle mould, pour in the mixture evenly leaving a small gap at the top for expansion. You can tap your mould on a hard surface to knock out any air bubbles.
3. Pop in the freezer to set briefly, before add the popsicle sticks (they should be able to stand upright).
4. Leave to fully freeze for a few hours until completely set.
5. Remove from moulds, drizzle in chocolate, top with pistachios and enjoy!
Tip: * For a lighter option use coconut milk or unsweetened nut milk.
Health hack: Substitute half the coconut cream for plain greek yoghurt. You’ll amp up the protein for muscle-repair and satiety.
Want more delicious recipes? Pre-order a signed copy of The Fit Foodie’s Love Move Eat
. Love Move Eat is your unforgettable guide to living your best life. It features over 70 delicious and healthy guilt-free recipes split by sweet and savoury treats, allowing you to enjoy a little of what you love, every day. Think hot chips, donuts, pop tarts, wagon wheels and more!
About the Author
The Fit Foodie, otherwise known as Sally O’Neil, is on a mission to prove that healthy and nutritious eating doesn’t have to be boring – and that even while staying in shape you can have your cake and eat it too. Sharing her mouth-watering recipes, fitness motivation and healthy eating tips through the popular blog (www.the-fit-foodie.com
) and on Instagram
, Sally hopes to help others on the same clean-eating journey. Pre-order her book Love Move Eat