This Chicken Pesto Pasta will satisfy all the family’s tastebuds. Grab the recipe and cook it tonight.
Pasta seems to be food of choice for most kids and by adding a tasty sauce full of vegetables, it also gets a tick for being nutrient rich. This Chicken Pesto Pasta, courtesy of J+L Lifestyle, is loaded full of delicious vegetables. But, before you dive into making it make sure you have a jar of homemade pesto ready or the ingredients to make it fresh. For a delicious homemade pesto you’ll need basil, pine nuts, extra virgin olive oil, parmesan cheese and salt. You’ll find our easy-to-make pesto recipe here. Once you have your fresh pesto ready, you’re all set to get started with making this Chicken Pesto Pasta.
Chicken Pesto Pasta
350g Casarecce pasta
2 tbsp olive oil
400g skinless chicken breast, diced
¼ cup pine nuts
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 small onion, diced
10 button mushrooms
1 red capsicum, diced
⅓ cup fresh pesto
¼ cup light cooking cream
100g grape tomatoes, halved
1 cup baby spinach leaves
Parmesan cheese, to serve
- Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Add pasta and cook according to directions on the pack – usually about 11 minutes. Once cooked, remove from stove and drain water.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in fry pan. Cook chicken for 5 minutes each side or until cooked through. Remove from frypan and set aside.
- Place pine nuts in frypan and toast until golden. Remove from frypan and set aside with chicken.
- Heat remaining olive oil in fry pan. Add garlic, onion, mushrooms and red capsicum. Cook until soft.
- Add pesto and light cream, stirring to combine. Bring to a simmer.
- Add chicken and pine nuts and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add pasta, tomatoes and baby spinach and cook for a further minute.
- Serve and top with parmesan cheese.
J+L Lifestyle Tip: Serve with steamed carrots, beans and broccoli or a garden salad.
About the Author: J+L Lifestyle is a relaxed and hassle-free kid’s activewear and lifestyle range that is stylish and comfortable enough to be worn from park to party. J+L Lifestyle is more than kid’s clothes though – the brand also offers a healthy living blog for the whole family and all garments come with a swing tag containing sunflower seeds for planting. J+L Lifestyle is made in Australia from a range of fabrics including bamboo, 100% Australian Certified Organic Cotton and active fabrics and come in sizes 2-6. Accredited Practising Dietitian, Accredited Exercise Physiologist, yoga teacher and mother of two, Caitlin Reid is behind J+L Lifestyle and her aim for the brand is to inspire as many kids as possible to be happy and healthy. By grabbing hold of kids’ natural ability to live in the moment and inspiring them to enjoy the simple things in life, J+L Lifestyle believes we can achieve this. To take a look at the range, visit the J+L Lifestyle website or ‘follow’ J+L Lifestyle on social media (Facebook and Instagram)