Weight loss is the easy part – maintaining the weight loss is what we all struggle with. Here’s how to keep the weight off for good.
Weight loss isn’t always easy, but it appears to be easier than maintaining your weight once you’ve lost it. Depressingly, 95 percent of people who lose weight regain it – and sometimes more – within a few months or years of the initial weight loss. Improve your chances of keeping the weight off by following these nine must do lifestyle steps:
- Sweat once a day: Exercise needs to be part of your day and it should make up at least an hour. Find an activity that you love, purchase workout gear than makes you feel great and get moving each day. Our bodies were made to move, so move it!
- Eat what you love: Food is meant to nourish the body and to be enjoyed, so if you’re going to keep the weight off there isn’t any point in avoiding all the delicious foods that you love. If chocolate is your favourite food, enjoy small servings of good quality chocolate occasionally and without distractions while you eat it. Listening and respecting your body will help you to have a healthy relationship with food.
- Make choices because they make you feel good: Too often deprivation is associated with weight loss and maintenance, when this shouldn’t be the case at all. Making healthy lifestyle choices is about acting in the way that enables you to be the best version of yourself. It’s not about depriving yourself; it’s about loving yourself. Making positive choices shows how much you care.
- Remember your why: Think back to the main reason for why you lost weight in the first place. Write it down and read it everyday. When you know your “why”, you can use this as your motivation to maintain the awesome changes you have made in your life.
- Sit less: Even if you’re including an hour of exercise each day you still need to limit the amount of time you spend sitting. Break up long periods of sedentary time with a short walk or even by simply standing up, as sitting has been associated with poorer health outcomes such as weight gain and an increased risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
- Be more mindful: Live in the present moment – don’t waste time thinking about things that aren’t affecting you in that particular moment. This will help you stay focused and make the best choices for you and the goals you wish to achieve.
- Stay strict on special occasions: The key to weight maintenance success is consistency so include regular meal times, keep you fridge and pantry stocked, schedule in your exercise and go to bed at the same time each day. On special occasions, try to stick to this as closely as you can, but allow yourself something extra – a couple of glasses of wine or a delicious dessert. You don’t need to go overboard and sample a little of everything. Remember, less is more.
- Keep a journal: Logging the food and drinks you consume is one of the best ways to stay on track for maintaining the weight you’ve lost. But, it’s not just about your kilojoule intake – it’s also wise to log your exercise, sleep, goals and daily achievements. This keeps you focused and helps you succeed at more than just weight maintenance.
- Keep challenging yourself: Life is about achieving your dreams. If you’ve already achieved them, then you’re not dreaming big enough. Challenge yourself every day by pushing yourself outside your comfort zone and who knows what you will end up becoming.
What tips do you have for keeping the weight off?
About the author
Caitlin Reid is a unique health professional with qualifications as an accredited nutritionist, accredited exercise physiologist and yoga teacher. Caitlin is passionate about all things health and wellness, and keeps up-to-date with the latest health research, which she uses when contributing expert advice to health, fitness, lifestyle and food companies. She is also the nutrition expert for the Women’s Fitness magazine, the dietitian for the South Sydney Rabbitohs and ambassador for Papaya Australia. Follow Caitlin on Instagram @caitlinareid or visit her website.