Looking for delicious (and of course healthy) snack options? Sally O’Neil a.k.a The Fit Foodie reveals her top five snack ideas and the best bit is, they’re super easy!
1. Boiled Eggs: I love to prep these on a Sunday night. Boil some water in a saucepan and using a spoon add eggs. If you like the middle a little runny, cook for about 7 minutes. Packed with protein, good fats and 11 vitamins and minerals, these guys will keep in your fridge for the whole week!
2. Protein Balls: If you have a sweet tooth but want to maintain a healthy diet (that’s all of us right?!), protein balls are the way to go. You can make your own at home (if you have the time and patience), or lay your hands on a clean pre-mix such as Fit Mixes. I love these because they’re low in sugar. Steer clear of ones laden with dried fruit such as find and dates – they’ll spike your blood sugar and leave you craving more.
3. Popcorn: If you skip the versions covered in toffee and oil, popcorn can be wonderfully healthy. Buy the natural kernels and flavour yourself, or check out my Award-worthy Coconut Popcorn recipe.
4. Almond Milk Hot Chocolate: I indulge in one of these most evenings after dinner. Make your own nut milk by soaking almonds for 4 hours and blending them with water, or buy the unsweetened versions available in supermarkets. Add a little Du Chocolate or raw cacao powder and rice malt syrup to kick those sweet cravings.
5. Greek Yoghurt + Cinnamon: Plain Greek yoghurt is so versatile and generally has the highest protein content of all yoghurts. Check the label for hidden sugars and avoid the ones with added fruit, which amps up the sugar. A sprinkle of cinnamon adds a delicious flavour and has lots of health benefits.
Photo Credits: The Fit Foodie