Here are four quick and easy recipes using the delicious fruits of papaya and papaw.
Papaya and papaw are two fruits that are in season all year round, so they’re a perfect addition to your favourite dishes. To inspire you to use these delicious fruits in your meals and snacks, try one or all of these tasty recipes that have been provided by Papaya Australia.
Papaya and Chicken Curry
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
1. Over a low heat, heat oil and korma curry paste in a pan or casserole dish until fragrant.
2. Add papaya and coconut milk and bring to the boil. Cover with a lid and allow to simmer.
3. Add chicken and cook until chicken is cooked through.
4. Add red capsicum and cook for another 2 minutes.
5. Meanwhile cook basmati rice in a rice cooker or according to directions on packet.
6. Serve papaya and chicken curry with basmati rice.
7.Garnish with thinly sliced Kaffir lime leaves (optional). Season to taste.
Prawn, avocado and papaw salad
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
1. Place capsicum pieces under grill and cook until skins turn black. Remove from grill and allow to cool. When cold, peel blackened skins and finely dice.
2. Mix grilled capsicum, papaw, avocado, coriander and 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a bowl to make the salad.
3. Heat fry pan and add remaining oil. Cook prawns until golden on one side and then turn and finishing cooking.
4. Place papaw salad in the middle of the plate to create a bed for the prawns. Repeat with three other serving plates.
5. Place four prawns on top of each salad. Season to taste.
Papaya and Coconut Muffins
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
1. Pre-heat oven to 180oC.
2. Over a low heat, heat butter on stove until melted. Allow to cool.
3. Combine flour and coconut in a large bowl and mix.
4. In a separate bowl, combine mashed papaya, egg, melted butter, honey and mix well. Add papaya mixture to flour and coconut bowl and mix well.
5. Place muffin cases into a standard muffin tin and spoon a heaped tablespoon of mixture into each one.
6. Bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
7. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from the muffin tin.
8. Top with extra shredded coconut and finely diced papaya.
Salmon and Papaya Salsa
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
1. Combine avocado, papaya and cherry tomatoes in a bowl and set aside.
2. Heat fry pan and add oil. Cook salmon skin-side down for 4-5 minutes before turning and cooking for about 4 minutes or until still slightly pink in the centre.
3. Meanwhile, cook brown rice in rice cooker or according to the directions on the packet.
4. Serve salmon on top of brown rice and top with salsa. Season to taste.
Caitlin Reid is an ambassador for Papaya Australia.
Images: Papaya Australia